Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Waiting on an Angel

We had our rental car for a few more hours in the morning so we took a road trip to Windsor Castle. It was quite impressive and a true testament of the past - well, if you ignore the Starbucks, McDonald's, and Cellphones4U that surround the castle. We didn't have much time, nor did we feel like paying the entrance fee to see the castle so we walked around the perimeter. Simon found a gazillion of his favorite trees after his year long search.














We stopped at the crookedest house in Windsor and on our way back to the car we ran into a street parade of guards in full uniform marching through the main street - perhaps the changing of the guard?














Prior to my arrival I had done some independent polling research amongst all the Brits I knew, trying to get some idea on options of where to live. Angel/Islington/Upper Street received the most consistent marks. I verified those results with guide books and read that there was youth, nightlife, live music, coffeehouses, etc. As we approached the "Way Out" of the Angel tube stop and proceeded towards Upper St, I braced myself and cautiously lowered my expectations. What I found instead....simply put.....Angel is perfect!!!!


Great big trees lining Upper St and flowers hanging from the median, cute shops, and restaurants galore. For icing on the cake, in the middle of Upper Street there is a huge metal structure shaped in the formation of Angel wings that are perched above the Angel Flower Shop. The shop had hydrangeas larger than the size of my head (for those who know me that flower rivals my favorite magnolia). They also had super miniature lemon and olive trees - granted they were 40 pounds per pot!!!

We checked out the Angel cuisine and ventured into The Angelic on Liverpool St. It was fantastic - lots of energy, big cushy leather chairs to sit and relax and a second floor with much of the same.

When I walked around I got excited about thoughts of entertaining visitors - most definitely! There's even a nearby Hilton in the middle of Upper St. We thought about going to watch the sing a long version of the Mama Mia movie but decided against. We also thought we'd watch a live music gig but passed when heard a taste of it. So we called it an early night, went back to Earl's Court and stopped into a Blockbuster. And yes, I got a Blockbuster card before I was able to get a phone.


No comments: