Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Run Baby Run

Simon's turn to choose the adventure. We decided to take the westbound District Line train to Kew Gardens, which has extensive gardens and botanical glasshouses. Simon had heard about a treetop walk-way and had been talking about it all week - I was imagining something from those Asian films where they run through the tree-tops. According to Wikipedia, "a new treetop walkway opened on May 24th, 2008. This walkway is 18 m high and 200 m long and takes visitors into the tree canopy of a woodland glade." After walking up the staircase, I thought I was a bit winded and didn't notice at first - but I soon found that I was not going crazy and yes, the walkway is not steady - it sways. Kew Gardens covers a lot of land and it was good to know that nature was only a few tube stops away.

















Another goal of this day trip was to get some much needed exercise (even through we'd been walking soo much over the last couple of days). So we sported our running shoes and decided to run from Kew Gardens to Richmond. It was a great thought in theory, but not having run in a while, it was a bit of a struggle. But we made it.




















We ran all the way to a boat parked at Richmond that was serving food and we ate on the top desk. The boats and the overall all scenery were soooo classic. We saw tons of tug boats and row boats and even watched a man carving out a row boat.















I went into work for a meeting (although I had not yet officially started) and I met the Director that had helped me on the UK side come to London. I supplied him with a Sams Club size box of Ziploc Double Zip Freezer bags - a special request that he had made for his mother in law before I arrived. I remember thinking at the time - if they don't have Ziplocs what else do they not have??


Later that evening, Simon and I met up with his college/uni buddies at the Porterhouse (very popular - almost too popular) pub in Covent Garden. After a couple of pints we decided we were hungry and made our way to Wagamamas with Tony leading the way. We managed to get a table with the group. I sat next to one of Simon's friends' from Mauritius, Rich. Funny thing...the next day I got an email from Holly about one of our friends who is moving to Mauritius.







No comments: