Friday, August 29, 2008

Hit the Road Jack
















Today I move into my corporate housing at Tower Hill, Byward St, Flat 9. How else to celebrate but to christen the place with some friends and food. It was going to be a big day. Simon and I decided to take the easy way out and call a cab with our 4 suitcases plus. We arrived and OMG! Thanks Uncle Ernie!

I have an amazing bedroom and living room window view of Tower of London (literally at my doorstep) and the Tower Bridge! Once I had decided that I had sufficiently found everything I could possibly ask for, it was time to head off to Borough Market.





















Now Huong had told me about this place before I left for London. If anyone knows me, they know I'm a market girl. Perhaps it was the regular Sunday trips to the local Farmer's Market in VA Beach that got me addicted to it all. Borough market was what I expected and more....overwhelmingly more! Note to self, when in a rush to cook dinner for a get together - do not try to do this at Borough Market - especially your first trip to Borough market. I felt like I was on that Dinner Impossible show on the Food Network. I couldn't find anything I needed!! Perhaps it was too late in the day, perhaps it was my internal monetary conversion aversion (holy crap! you mean a cut of prime rib costs $42 dollars!!).














After not being able to find what I wanted, and rushing through what I'm sure what would have been a really pleasant lazy Saturday morning activity, I ran off to the closest Sainsbury Local grocery that I could find. What I found was NOTHING! So then I shamelessly asked the fruit guy at Sainsbury where the nearest Tesco was, and I ran to Tesco Metro. What I found as my beef option was "Traditional English Beef Cut."I'm sorry but what the heck is that?? If I had only had my camera out! So I went with it. Can you feel my frustration??






























A couple of crazy moments later, Tony, Bintal, and Chris showed up - yay! After dinner the plan was to go to a roof top bar with a nice view. [Like how I skipped the part about eating dinner?]

We ended up at Vertigo 42 at the top of International Financial Centre Tower 42 on Old Broad St. At Vertigo, Chris was nice enough to buy the group a round of champagne (yes, we did). Well, it was all they had to serve - no spirits. But heck - it was an amazing view.







Then we all piled into a cab and headed into Shoreditch to the Light bar. After deciding with a random girl that we would turn it into a dance party, and 2 pint glasses later (now placed on my shelf), I have a place to call home.
......Well at least for the next 30 days when Uncle Ernie says - Hit the Road!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Christine,
Simon just sent me the link to this blog, it's great, you make London sound so romantic and foreign! It's very strange to hear you having the same experiences as us when it come to the simple challenges like grocery shopping. Hope to catch you on one of our visits back to the UK, x