Saturday, October 25, 2008

Second Chance

Borough Market....Take 2

It was a beautiful sunny day in London. Kia, Cecilia, and I planned for a market day. This time, I had the time to look through all of the stands and get an idea of what there was to taste, see and smell. I bought some spelt risotto. I had never heard of spelt until then...it was pretty good. One of the highlights was the buffalo mozzarella....fantastically fresh!! We learned that if you go to the vegetable stands on the outer ring of the market you can typically get a better deal.




Neil's Dairy has some amazing cheese and Kia and I got ourselves a tasting. The trick is to tell the cheese guy that you don't like some thing and he's so passionate about cheese that he will give you tons of samples of different types of that cheese to try to persuade you to like it!








There's also a really awesome coffee shop called Monmouth Coffee Co. People queue up in their market stand and at their store front to get bags of coffee and their wonderful filtered coffee. Good stuff.








And as if we had actually been market regulars or locals to London, we ran into our friends at the market!!








Borough, I love you...but in the financial times we're in, I think I'll save you for a special treat. I'd rather go to Chapel Market in Angel where can get:
Chapel Market 5 avocados -1 pound
Borough Market 2 avocados for 1 pound
Chapel Market Cut of prime rib -10 pounds
Borough Market Cut of prime rib - 20 pounds
Chapel Market Whole salmon - 7 pounds
Borough Market Whole salmon - I don't know cause they measure it by kg

No comments: